My eldest son starts school tomorrow. It’s a big day. A big week. A big year. I’m definitely feeling the full range of emotions – happy, proud, nervous, anxious and excited. I’m looking forward to getting into the routine of school life and getting these first few days out of the way! Over the past few months, I have been paying careful attention to all the little snippets of advice and experience from other mums.
I have two nephews who are already at school so my sister has been a wealth of information. I feel pretty well equipped as a new school mum but I’m sure there will be plenty of hiccups and issues to deal with! For me, one of the ways I deal with new situations is to plan as much as possible. As well as the uniform, shoes, labelling and stationery, I have also been making a secret list of the things that might make the school run a little easier for me too
This is my
shopping list checklist so far:
- Raincoat and gumboots: I’ve heard it rains A LOT at the 3pm pickup. The boots will also come in handy for those cold and rainy Saturday sport sessions.
- Comfy shoes: Some of the school mornings will require me to head straight to work after drop-off. I’m expecting to walk my little lord into school most days so I might wear a flat comfy shoe then change into my heels for work afterwards.
- Sunglasses: To hide my tears from my little lord on that first day
- Scarf: An easy way to add some colour to an outfit when you’re racing out the door.
- Statement necklace: As above, this is another easy way to add a bit of interest or personality to an outfit when you’re in a rush.
- Keyring: Because it’s cute.
- Watch: To stay on target for pickup.
- Planners: To help map out the weeks ahead and not miss any important events!
7. Happart loafer in silver $59.95 by Ninewest; 8. Original tall gloss boots in sand $98 by Hunter; 9. Carnival keyring $19.95 by Sportsgirl; 10. Blush PU watch $39.95 by Sportsgirl; 11. Mosaic tile scarf $69.95 by Witchery.
I hope this list helps a few fellow first time school mums. For the experts, what have I forgotten that might prove useful?