I’ve recently cleaned out my shoe collection. It wasn’t huge to begin with but it’s now quite pleasantly small and manageable. I’ve become really picky about comfort in footwear. Gone are the days when I’m seduced by a glittering stiletto. I still love to look and admire these of course but I’m happy to admit that I get much more excited about a pair of shoes that will go with multiple outfits and that I can wear all day!!
So I’ve culled a lot of shoes that just don’t cut it anymore. Even just a little bit of discomfort is not acceptable to me. So yes I am Mrs Sensible but this does not limit my choices at all. There are plenty of great shoe brands that make stylish and comfortable shoes! And that is the inspiration for today’s moodboard. This is Part 1 of my summer shoe mini series and it’s all about heels. There are certain features that I look for in heels:
- COMFORT is number 1. This doesn’t have to mean a super low heel. I can manage a higher heel if it’s the block style and the sole is suitably padded.
- For extra height (because my short legs need it) I find wedge styles to be a great solution rather than high stilettos. The extra height under the toe section means the heel height doesn’t have to be obscenely high (see number 4 below)
- A velcro ankle strap is awesome because you can adjust it to the exact tightness you like and the strap is neatly stuck down (see numbers 4, 5, 7, 11 and 16 below)
- For a pump or peeptoe heel, I find I have to try quite a few brands and sizes to get the fit exactly right. Too small and it rubs, too big and you slip out of it
- Mule styles (numbers 2, 6 and 10 below) are great for work and also look good with jeans
So here are my top picks for summer heels. Yes I love nude tones the most (so versatile) but also included are tan, black and some other fun coloured ones.
5. Gingerbread in tan $89.99 by Betts Shoes; 6. Sylvan slip on heeled sandal $109.95 by Sbicca at Surfstitch; 7. Bunny heel $69.95 by Lavish at Birdsnest; 8. Zanzibar cognac leather $149.95 by Zensu Shoes.
9. Office in black $99.99 by Betts Shoes; 10. Calmer heel $154.95 by Django & Juliette at Birdsnest; 11. Arcade balck sandal $112.46 by Urban Soul at Myer; 12. Spartan black nubuck laser cut wedge sandal $149.96 by Jane Debster at Myer.
What do you look for in a summer heel? Which of these would you wear?
Next week I’ll cover Part 2 – flats for summer.