Today’s topic is inspired by a friend who complained to me recently that they “want to look a bit more trendy” as a mum. I’m not claiming to be a trendy expert in any way but I do try to make an effort when I dress for mum duty. For me, it’s all about combining comfort with a touch of style. I’m pretty sure I’m not always “on trend” but most of the time I feel good and I think that’s the important thing.
If you follow me on Instagram, you’ll notice that I share quite a few of my outfits on the days I am not at work, when I’m home looking after my boys. I am always looking for ways to be both comfortable and a little bit stylish because that’s my uniform most of the time. So today I thought I’d share 8 tips that might help you feel like a trendy mum:
1. A bright/patterned scarf – the perfect and easy way to add colour and interest to a plain outfit.
2. Statement coat – if you’re looking at investing in a new coat / jacket, choose one that will instantly take your jeans and jumper outfit to a new level.
3. Statement handbag – Sometimes just carrying a great bag can make all the difference to how you feel
4. Show some collar and cuff – Before kids I used to wear lovely crisp cotton shirts all the time but after kids when I went back to work part time, I just wasn’t wearing them much at all. So now I wear them for mum duty and I like to show a bit of collar and cuff as a contrast to the relaxed look of jeans. If it’s chilly and I wear a jumper, I only need to iron those sections!
5. Long cardi – this trend is big this year and I’ve only recently got on board but what’s not to love! Choose a soft knit in a neutral colour and you’ll be stylishly snug all day.
6. Blazer and sneakers – Do you always go for jeans, jumper and boots? Try something different and wear a blazer (again, get some wear out of your old corporate clothes!) with jeans and sneakers for a polished, relaxed look.
For these two last tips, I ran out of trendiness. So I turned to Pinterest.
7. Add a touch of leopard – such a simple way to turn a plain outfit into something a little bit special.
Image source: jseverydayfashion.com
8. The anorak – everyone’s wearing them because they’re comfy, warm and look relaxed yet stylish. Great for QLD winters or layer up in colder weather.
So please tell me your tricks and tips for looking trendy while on mum duty?