Have you noticed that plaid / checked is a big trend this autumn / winter? At first I was a bit quick to judge this print style. It brought back memories of flannies from the 80s, picnic rugs and tartan school uniforms (yes I wore a tartan kilt as part of my winter school uniform and no I didn’t go to school in Scotland). Then I looked closer and noticed the classicness of this print and the beautiful autumn colours that it can bring together. There’s also a fair bit of monochrome plaid around which is a great way to try the style out before going full colour.
So I’m a convert. I also remembered that I do own a plaid shirt in a pastel print which I love so I will definitely be embracing this trend this winter and beyond. At first I wasn’t totally sure how to wear this style but a bit of research and a quick review of the #plaidstyle hashtag has lead me to these styling guidelines:
- Wear a plaid shirt open over a white T-shirt / singlet and jeans for a cool casual look
- Add a blazer and statement necklace over a plaid shirt for a more dressy / worky outfit
- Layer a plaid shirt under a jumper with the collar and cuff showing for a preppy chic look (I do love preppy chic)
- Wear a plaid shirt / knit over a summer dress for a cute autumn outfit
- Tie a plaid shirt around your waist for a bit of colour / interest
- Wear with jeans and a leather jacket for a truly casually cool look
- Choose a coat or dress in a checked print and make it the feature of your winter wardrobe
- Plaid accessories are a great way to add colour / interest to an outfit – scarves, bags, headbands and shoes all look fantastic!
- Check out #plaidstyle on Instagram or Pinterest for more inspiration (the hashtag #wellplaid also delivers some great styling ideas)
Here are some ideas to get you in the plaid mood:
1. Ebony check blanket cape $129.99 by Forever New; 2. Kenosha boyfriend shirt $39.95 by Cotton On; 3. WV poppy chopped shirt $29.95 by Cotton On; 4. Plaid button down shirt $129 by Bohemian Traders; 5. Check dropped shoulder shirt $39.99 by Glassons; 6. Mist jacket RRP $149 by Philosophy Australia (call 1800 612 608 for stockists).
7. Check weave scarf $39.95 by Sussan; 8. Jumper in structured knit in check $69 by ASOS; 9. Steve Madden ecentric red plaid slip on trainers $50 by ASOS; 10. Check up on it scarf $16.96 by Cotton On; 11. Rook dress RRP $149 by Philosophy Australia (call 1800 612 608 for stockists).
If you like this trend, I’d love to see how you wear it! Please share a pic or two on Instagram or Facebook and tag me / let me know. Or email me your pic and I shall share the plaid love with this community if you’re ok with that
Are you a fan of this trend / print? Which are your picks from the moodboard?