Beach season in Sydney has officially started. 33 degrees and perfect today so we spent the morning on Long Reef beach on the Northern Beaches. I can pack our beach bag in about 7 minutes these days. I have a large Dreams in Colour tote which I’ve had for almost two years and it’s brilliant. Good size, fully lined and the super bright colours on the fabric make it the easiest bag to find on a busy beach.
Here’s quick checklist for a family outing to the beach. We tend to go for an hour or two in the mornings before the sun gets too hot so this list does not include lunch or other items you might need for a full day.
2. Rash vests and swimmers / swimmer nappies for the kids: We tend to get our kids dressed into these when we get to the beach. If your kids wear their swimmers, don’t forget to pack undies and shorts for the drive home.
4. Sunscreen: I like to apply sunscreen to my boys before we leave our house so we don’t have to have the sunscreen war in the heat and sand. I like to pack a smaller roll-on sunscreen for top-ups if required.
5. Water bottles
7. Plastic bag for wet gear
8. Buckets and spades: We have a separate bag for various beach toys
9. Beach tent: Good for small children and babies. As our kids have become more active, we haven’t tended to use our tent very much.
10. Baby powder: If you have a child in nappies, a little puff of powder over their sandy legs and bottom will help remove the damp sand and you’ll be able to get the nappy / undies back on much more easily.
So to get all these items organised, you’ll need a decent sized durable bag. Here’s my pick with nine bags all priced under $75.
1. Tucan rouge travel tote in coral melon $70 by Dreams in Colour; 2. French canvas bag – taupe $40 by Blue Bungalow; 3. Mallorca tile tyver tote $39.95 by Tiger Lily at Surf Dive n Ski; 4. Cooler market bag $39.95 by Morgan and Finch at Bed Bath and Table; 5. Getaway bag – sea salt $39.99 by Roxy at Surf Stitch; 6. The essential beach bag $29.99 by Billabong at Surf Stitch; 7. Paper straw beach bag – animal $10 by Target; 8. Rainbow painted tote – pink sunset $69 by Dreams in Colour; 9. Chevron bag – blue $29.95 by Blue Bungalow.
Which bag would you take to the beach? How do you like to pack for a beach outing?