Two colourful events inspired me this week. A trip to see Vivid on Sydney Harbour and a trip to the aquarium in Manly (Sealife Sanctuary) with my sons.
The colours at both events are pretty cool. A hot pink opera house and some bright tropical fish have inspired me to talk about neon. I love a bit of neon. Looking back at my outfit pics on Instagram over the last two months, I am quite surprised by the amount of neon I own. So I thought I’d share the neon love here.
Tips and tricks to wearing neon:
- Neon looks great as a feature / pop to an outfit. A neon scarf, earring or belt can add serious fun to an otherwise standard ensemble.
- Neon works all year round: in summer (bikinis, beach bags and toenails) and winter (scarves, bags, jewellery).
- Neon looks great with neutral colours black, white and grey but I think my current favourite would have to be navy and neon pink. Try different combinations to see what suits you best.
- Adding neon make-up can also be a fun way to add colour and interest to an outfit. Neon lippie and nail polish seem to be everywhere at the moment – give it a go I say! I was persuaded to buy a Chanel neon pink lipstick by my sister last weekend. I love it. Don’t tell her.
- Don’t be afraid to make neon the main feature of your outfit. I attempted a neon print clash with the SnS Print Challenge a few weeks ago. The husband jury is out but it was fun to try J.
Here are some more ideas for adding a touch of neon including a pair of neon yellow earrings which are cheaper than a coffee!
1. Logo shadow slim sweats by Gap $23.97; 2. Hannah diagonal clutch by Collette Hayman $19.95; 3. Moneypenny watch by Komono at ASOS $88.24; 4. Multi flower print scarf by Miss Shop at Myer $24.95; 5. Luminous lip veil in Angel Psychedel by Napoleon Perdis at David Jones $30; 6. Triangle dented earring by Collette Hayman $2.47; 7. Womens authentic low pro shoe by VANS at Surf Dive n Ski $74.96
For even more neon tips and tricks, Nikki from Styling You has also written a post about neon.
Finally, if you just can’t love the 80s look, put it on your kids instead. Little lord #1 wears a neon orange puffer vest from Coles Mix apparel $15.
P.S. How cute are stingray’s faces. Always so smiley.